Chautauqua Historic District
The Chautauqua Historic District was established in 1995. It encompasses an area roughly bounded by Symmes Street on the north, Brooks Street on the south, Chautauqua Avenue on the east and Lahoma Avenue on the west.
The Chautauqua Historic District is made up of approximately 153 residential structures. Most of these homes were built in the period between 1915 and 1935, with the majority of the development occurring in the 1920s. The architecture and environment of the Chautauqua District represents a unique time period in Normanís history. Stately residences reflect the character of the university deans, faculty, and other prominent individuals who assisted in the development of the City. The mature trees, which line the streets, reveal Normanís dedication to turn a town on the prairie into a garden setting. In this six-block area almost every architectural style prevalent during the first quarter of the 20th century is represented. It is this variety, which also characterizes the heritage of Norman and western settlement, that is significant in the district.
Miller Historic District
The Miller Historic District was established in 1997. Its area is roughly bounded by Symmes Street on the north, Classen Avenue on the east and Miller Avenue running northwest to southeast.
Composed of approximately 148 structures, the Miller Historic District is predominately a residential area as well. Part of the Classen-Miller Addition which was originally platted in 1903, the area did not become fully developed until a growth spurt doubled the size of Norman following World War I. Convenient to the business district, the railroad, and the University, the area developed into a neighborhood for faculty members and business leaders. Thus the historical significance of the Miller District is two-fold: the district is significant for the role it played in the urban development of the City of Norman, and it is architecturally significant for its excellent collection of eclectic residential architecture built between 1910 and 1938. The Bungalow, a nationally popular subtype of the Craftsman style, represents the predominant architecture of the District. The majority of these homes were built in the 1920s.